“Our memories are the only paradise from which we can never be expelled.” Jean Paul Richter
THE WHAT & WHY
For the late baby boomer (born between 1954-1964) it’s probably true to say that a lot of us have a bit more time for reflection now, with less responsibility and more time on our hands due to various reasons.
From 1954 to 1964, 1.1 million kids were born in Scotland, so the chances are that hundreds of thousands of us went through the same experiences and growing pains, from our first kiss (or knockback) at the Quali Dance to our first holiday (and Alka Seltzer) with mates on sojourns to Blackpool, Butlins or sunnier climes.
This blog was born from a group of us reconnecting during lockdown and filling countless hours reminiscing and reflecting on a period of time from the late 60’s to the mid 70’s that most of us had fond but varying memories of.
We realised however, that once we started discussing, sharing and dusting-off the collective cobwebs there were loads of fantastic memories and anecdotes locked away that we’d all but forgotten about.
We also came to the realisation that a few faded photographs apart, our generation really does rely on memories, it’s our window to the past, and the stories become easier to share and recall when you’re ‘back in that place.’
So, the aim of this blog is to take people ‘back to that place’, in order to help people to connect, to reconnect, to remember, to laugh, to squirm and to encourage others to do the same.
To do this we will share stories and memories and encourage as many people as possible to also share theirs. We’ll talk about the Music, Culture, Urban Myths, Fashion, Sport, Schooldays and the general malarkey of the time as well as anything else that comes to mind.
THE WHO … no, not them!
The 70s Colin ‘Jackie’ Jackson
• Favourite Band – Sweet / Rory Gallagher
• Favourite Single – Stay With Me – The Faces
• Favourite Album – Live in Europe (Rory Gallagher)
• Favourite Movie – The Life of Brian
• Favourite TV Show – Fawlty Towers
• Favourite Cartoon – Daffy Duck
• Favourite Publication – The Beezer / Sounds
• Favourite Sportsman/woman – John Greig / Chris Evert
• Cultural Icon – Mick Jagger
• Favourite Pub/Club – The Peel, Drumchapel, Glasgow (Pub)
– The White Elephant, Glasgow (Club)
The 70s Paul Fitzpatrick
- Favourite Band – Steely Dan
- Favourite Single – Superstition – Stevie Wonder
- Favourite Album – Court and Spark – Joni Mitchell
- Favourite Movie – The Godfather
- Favourite TV Show – M*A*S*H
- Favourite Cartoon – Foghorn Leghorn
- Favourite Publication – NME
- Favourite Sportsman/woman – Johann Cruyff/John McEnroe
- Cultural Icon – David Bowie
- Favourite Pub/Club – The Rooster (Glassford St, Glasgow)